Event Date – June 27, 2020
The Vermont Gran Fondo is a non-competitive ride through Vermont’s Green Mountains. This ride will test your fitness with its challenging climbs. There are amazing views at the top each gap—savor them for a moment before you speed downhill.
Venue location for 2020, Bristol, Vermont. The local Recreation Park has ample space for our venue tent, after party food vendors, and no shortage of parking at the adjoining High School. We are very excited about the move and the possibilities it brings. Below is a cool video shot by one of our local video artists. Look forward to seeing you there on June 27th, 2020.
Paper Registration Forms DOWNLOAD.
Mailed entries should be post-marked before corresponding fee deadlines.
A Few Note Worthy Event Features:
- TIMING – We will be capturing your overall time and on the KOM/QOM Lincoln Gap segment only.
- MOTO SUPPORT – After last years heat wave, we are increasing our moto support. Those people ROCK!
- COMMUNICATION – Safety first!
- AFTER PARTY – More food vendors!
- TENT…SIZE MATTERS – Doubled the size, again! Yeah, it got a bit tight in there last year. More table and more chairs!
- # 1 & # 2 – More porta potties! No more waiting…well, maybe a little.
- REST STOPS – Better food…MORE water!
Four ride options for 2020:
- Difficile, Medio & Piccolo routes will cover small stretches of iconic Vermont dirt roads (approximately 10% per course). Dirt surfaces are hard-packed and easily navigable.
- Gran Fondo: 130 miles, 11,400′ of climbing over Middlebury Gap (west to east), Lincoln Gap (east to west), Brandon Gap (west to east), Middlebury Gap (east to west).
- Medio: 82 miles, 6,900′ of climbing (Appalachian Gap & Lincoln Gap) – Don’t be fooled, this is harder than the Facile!
- Piccolo Fondo: 37 miles, 2,600′ of climbing. (no gaps but, still some climbing)
Start times: (TBD)
Registration/packet pickup/start/finish at the Rec. Club located off Airport Drive in Bristol, VT.
- 6:00 am Gran riders will start
- 9:30 am Medio group start
- 10:00 am Piccolo group will start
- Riders must depart as a group–the intersection of Rt 17/116 and Airport Dr will be controlled by police.
Registration & Packet Pick-Up:
- Online closes on Sunday, June 21, 11:00 pm. Click here to register.
- In person:
- Friday, June 26: 3:30 noon to 6:00 pm at Frog Hollow Bikes, 74 Main Street, Middlebury
- Saturday, June 27th: 4:30 am to 9:30 am at the event venue, 110 Airport Dr, Bristol, VT.
- Four amazingly scenic, challenging and well-marked routes
- A cool swag item–we’ve offered caps, t-shirts, socks, cups in past years…still nailing down this year’s item.
- Apes party with savory options from quality food trucks, family & friends welcome
- Discounts at local hotels for the weekend
- Route signage marking every turn, cue sheets, route maps at each rest stop, and course marshals to guide you
- Rest stops atop every gap with the foods you expect at endurance cycling events (PBJ, Hammer Fuels and Fluids, an assortment of fresh fruits), plus a variety of specialty treats
- SAG support and mechanical support along the course including a crew of moto support on every course.
- Insurance coverage included in the registration
- Knowing that event proceeds will benefit bicycling initiatives in Addison County
Mountain Gap Hill Climb Challenge: King and Queen of the Mountain
This year a timed Gap Hill Climb Challenge with KOM & QOM trophies will be awarded to the top three men and women. The most challenging gap of the course will be designated as the challenge.
A custom KOM & QOM custom growler trophy is just the beginning…we are working on the details for swag bags for the champs.
Riders seeking a bit of additional motivation can empty the tank by attempting to set personal bests and compare themselves to others on each gap. Upload your climb times (for any or all of the four gaps) via Garmin or iPhone to Strava and compare your times on our event KOM and QOM segments for each gap.
All of the weekend’s activities are centered at the Bristol Rec. Club on Airport Drive, Bristol, Click here for directions.
There is one main parking lot, within easy walking or riding distance to the registration area and start.
- At the venue at 110 Airport Drive.
*In the event of road closure or construction affecting access to a designated ‘Gap Challenge’, the most challenging gap will become the ‘Gap Challenge’.